April 4, 2022 - Important Information About Recent Incident on Campus

Dear Woodsboro Community,

We wanted to make you aware of an incident that took place late last week. It was brought to our attention that three students unknowingly brought candy to school on Thursday, March 31, 2022, that contained cannabis. Unfortunately, the three students, who are in grades kindergarten, third, and sixth, ingested the candy during break time and then required medical attention. The student in kindergarten shared the candies with a classmate, who also required medical attention as a result. Four students in total were directly impacted. 

Please know that we immediately contacted Child Protective Services (CPS) as well as the Anaheim Police Department (APD) after learning what had happened. We also launched a full internal investigation with Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District administrators, which included interviewing students and cleaning out desks, pencil boxes, and backpacks in the classrooms of the students directly involved. 

As a result of our thorough investigation, which concluded this morning, we did not find any additional candy and we believe that it has all been accounted for at this time. However, out of an abundance of caution, we are asking for the help of our families. Please have a conversation with your child this afternoon to see if they were given any candy on Thursday of last week and, if so, whether they ate any of it. Contact me directly via email at [email protected] or phone at 714-986-7040 extension 46001 if that is the case. An expert with the California Poison Control System (CPCS), who we also contacted, stated that children would show signs of sedation and confusion but that these symptoms would expire 24 to 48 hours after ingestion.

In addition, we ask that you please remind your students about one of our important rules at Woodsboro: Students are not allowed to share food with one another or bring candy of any sort to campus. We will also reiterate this rule to students in the classroom and remind them of its intended purpose, protecting their peers who may have food allergies. 

I sincerely regret, but also understand, that this incident may leave you with a sense of worry. Please know that the safety of our campus is not a matter we take lightly. Although this situation unfolded at school, it was a result of a series of unfortunate decisions made off-campus. It does not change the fact that our campus continues to be a safe space for students to learn, staff to work, and families to visit. We thank you for your understanding and encourage you to contact our front office with any information related to this matter.


Dr. George Lopez